Quick Healthy Lunch

On Tuesdays I go down to our village infant school to run the Gardening Club which we do during the children's lunch break from about 12.30 to 1.00pm - though I am frequently there till 2.30 or 3pm finishing off what we started together, tidying up, writing our activities up on the blackboard etc etc. So by the time I get back home, if I haven't managed to eat before going down there, I am usually pretty hungry.

This week I got home about 2.30pm and went straight to the fridge. It is full at the moment with little plastic tubs of leftovers - leftover roast potatoes, leftover greens, leftover baked beans and leftover salad to name just a few. One of my preferred quick meals is toast, baked beans and a fried egg on top. This was what I decided I fancied - especially as I had some lovely brown bread in the bread bin. But today I would give it a twist on my usual - I would use up the dog-end of green salad (rocket, watercress and spinach) too.

So I popped the bread in the toaster, microwaved the baked beans (since they were already in a plastic container and it would save washing up a saucepan), fried the egg on the Aga, buttered the toast, put the beans on top, then the salad and perched the fried egg on top of all that. A twist of salt and pepper and there you have an incredibly quick, reasonably healthy and suitably nutritious lunch. I was tempted to pour the wine, but decided I'd better stick with milk. And voila! I was fully replete all in the space of 15 minutes of getting home.

Comments

Popular Posts