Quick 'Gourmet' Dinner for One

Unexpectedly home alone tonight. So I binned the idea of fish fillets, new potatoes and salad and opened the fridge door. Cheese on toast came to mind as I eyed the Morrison's Mature Gruyere lying neatly on top of the Cathedral City Mature (But Mild) cheddar.

I removed the Waitrose sliced white from the breadbin and decided to use the crust - mainly because that was all that was left. It was thin and soft so it seemed a shame to just to give it to the birds. I got out a small non-stick saucepan and lopped in a teaspoon of Co-Op sour cream which was also hanging around the fridge looking lost and unloved. I then broke off a lump of the gruyere and grated it into the warming sour cream. Ditto with some larger chunks of cheddar. I then sprinkled in some shakes of Worcestershire sauce and stirred it all round with a wooden spoon. Meanwhile I toasted the crust on the Aga and when it was ready put it on a plate and spread the hot melting cheese onto it.

Voila, gourmet (I use the term loosely!) dinner for one achieved in about 5 minutes. Delicious if you like cheese on toast or variation on Welsh Rarebit. A green salad next to it would have prettied it up but I decided to just get on and tuck in and eat the salad later.



Sometimes it's great when your husband decides to eat out with colleagues...


PS: you will notice that I am also fairly eclectic when it comes to the supermarkets I visit - variety is the spice of life, I've always believed.

Comments

Shaheen said…
I'm a bit like that with supermarkets, strolling from one to another.

I'm a huge fan of gourmet snacks, albeit it Welsh Rarebit )

Popular Posts