Tomato, bacon and chorizo pasta

Gosh, it's been a while, hasn't it, since I wrote something here? Please do not think that I have lost interest - far from it. It is just the usual story of 'too much to do, too little time.'

As proof that I am still alive and kicking, I just wanted to write a quick post about the supper I threw together tonight. Husband comes home from work and, while emptying dishwasher, casually asks what I might be planning for supper. So I casually lay my iron to rest on the board for a moment, and ask, equally casually, what he had for lunch (he had a client lunch so it was squid followed by a roast beef salad somewhere posh rather than the more mundane option of a sandwich on the hoof). Feeling a little weary having been out all day and still with three recalcitrant children to get to bed, I peered into the fridge, checked a few sell-by dates and suggested baked potatoes and coleslaw. I may as well have suggested a cup of cold sick, such was the tepid reaction. 'Ok then', I say brightly, 'how about pasta with chorizo, bacon and tomato sauce?' This met with a warmer reception. Pasta it was then.

Once children dispatched, finally, to bed and a glass of white wine poured, I set about my task. I cut off a chunk of chorizo, sliced it thickly and then cut these slices into quarters. I then opened a packet of rindless, unsmoked bacon, removed half of it and cut it into 3cm sections which I then separated before chucking into a heavy based non-stick saute pan with a sliced red onion. I would have chopped up garlic and thrown it in but I had none, so that was that. I let all this cook down nicely before adding a tub of ready-made Neapolitana tomato sauce (from Tesco as it happens, but many shops have this - a tin of chopped tomatoes would have done just as well). I kept this on the heat for a few minutes to thoroughly warm through and absorb the flavours and juices of the chorizo and bacon. Meanwhile I cooked some tubular pasta - but any good pasta shape or spaghetti or linguine or whatever takes your fancy would do - which I then drained and tossed in butter before stirring in the tomato and meat sauce. I ripped up a clutch of fresh basil leaves before spooning it into bowls. All it needed was a bit of freshly grated parmesan and a drizzle of good quality olive oil and Bob's your Uncle. A perfect little pasta dish made from storecupboard and fridge inmates. It was so good we gobbled the entire saucepan-full. More than was strictly needed at 10 o'clock at night and for a woman of a certain age with a waistline to consider...(but you only live once, don't you?).

Ps: no photo I'm afraid as I wasn't expecting it to be anything special. Just goes to show.

Comments

Maggie Christie said…
Yes it has been a while, but it was worth waiting for. After a quick scout in my own fridge I'm going to cook this for tea tonight (but substituting sausages for the bacon). The chorizo makes all the difference doesn't it? Thanks for the inspiration!
Pondside said…
Well done - and inventive, as always. Last weekend, between trips away, I was home for a couple of dinners of leftover Coho from the fridge. We had Coho and just-dug potatoes with butter and bits of bacon, and then we had open-faced sandwiches of coho and a drizzle of mustard-dill sauce. There aren't many things as satisfying as emptying the fridge in a delicious way!
Carah Boden said…
Hi girls - thanks so much for reading and leaving comments. Glad I provided some inspiration for tea Mags - it's sometimes hard to come up with something different isn't it? Pondie - couldn't agree more. But what's Coho? I'm intrigued....
Tony Bennett said…
Yummy recipe. Will try that one on the kids next week. I must check out some more of your recipes. Last week kids got chicken, smoked lardons (from Calais Super U bought on the way home last month), peppers, tomato sauce and pasta - rustled from fridge and freezer. A couple of weeks ago, after getting back late from climbing in Derbyshire, I made chorizo and chick pea stew with tomato sauce. Quick, easy and excellent in a bowel with chunky granary bread!

Popular Posts