Autumnal Beef Casserole

Gosh, the last post was waxing lyrical about summer suppers - now here we are in Autumn. Where have I been? Well, I have passed my time at home in the summer winds and rain, and in France in a little gallic sunshine. Today, as I went about my business, I noticed the rustle of the dried out little brown leaves being blown around the edges of the house - a sure sign that the season has changed. I take no notice of temperature - where I live it is irrelevant (i.e always cold). It is more subtle details which give the seasonal game away: the smell of woodsmoke, the sharpness of air, the shortened days and a more golden light.

'Tis time for a casserole, thought I. Salads no longer seemed appropriate (if they ever were). I dug around in the freezer and unearthed some beef chunks. I knew I had parsnips and carrots. What more could a girl want? The meat was stuck in the microwave to defrost and then I was ready to go.





Took an onion, peeled and sliced. Threw it into a casserole dish warming with mild olive oil. Peeled and sliced two fat cloves of garlic. Threw them in with the meat and a good shake of plain flour. Browned the meat off, added sea salt flakes and twists of black pepper. Finished off a jar of dried oregano, popped in a bay leaf and a sprig of fresh rosemary from the garden and then bathed the meat in about 250ml of red wine. I then pottered back to the freezer and found a tub of homemade stock from some long forgotten roast chicken. Defrosted it in the microwave and poured it in (about 500ml). A squeeze of tomato puree (about 1 tablespoon); a shake of balsamic vinegar (but a teaspoon or two of sugar would have been fine too); a slug of orange juice. What have I forgotten? Ah yes, some dried porcini mushrooms: I boiled the kettle and put them to soak for a few minutes in about 200ml of hot water. The whole lot then got sploshed into the casserole. I peeled a good sized parsnip, halved it down the middle then chopped it into chunks; ditto a large carrot. Both then went in with everything else. Lid on, and thence to the floor of the Aga roasting oven. (I would imagine this would equate to a medium hot ordinary oven). All you want to do now is reduce the juices and cook the carrot and parsnip - so just keep an eye on it till you are happy that this is done.





Meanwhile, I peeled a large potato and two small ones and did likewise with a sweet potato. Chopped them all into chunks and brought to the boil in salted water. 20 minutes later I drained them, added a generous knob of butter and about two tablespoons of soured cream and gave them a good mash. Perfect, creamy, flavoursome. Over the pan of boiling potatoes, I had steamed chopped cabbage. This I now sauteed for a moment or two with butter and sprinkled with salt and ground pink peppercorns. Slap onto a warm plate and there you have it. Full of flavour, very nourishing - and hugely comforting, with a glass of red wine, on a cool autumnal night.


Comments

Maggie Christie said…
That looks utterly delish. I haven't put OJ into a beef casserole before, but can see that it would work - I must remember to try it next time. That mash looks dreamy too (and lump free). No, Masterchef, cooking doesn't get any better than THIS!
Carah Boden said…
Thanks Mags - it is amazing, though, isn't it, how many so-called chefs can't seem to produce good mash on TV - they either overdo it and make it go all starchy or it has lumps in it. I never thought it was that complicated!!
Pipany said…
Oh god I am so hungry! I love casseroles and none more so than these rich types. Thanks for the ideas x
Woozle1967 said…
So, ok, send me your address and I'll set off right now! What's for tea tonight?xx
Tattieweasle said…
Looks fab! Now off to rummage in freezer for odd venison chunks. It would work the same wouldn't it?
Lakeland Jo said…
all I can say is - looks fab

Popular Posts