Monday Lunch, 24th May



I’m in full clearing-out-the-fridge-before-we-go-on-holiday mode. It was a beautiful day today – sunny and warm but not energy-sapping hot. Just perfect English summer heat. I’d been working away in the garden (as I have been for weeks), the lawns had just been cut, the birds were singing, the sheep were bleating. Given I’m trying to lose a pound or two before having to bear flesh next week, a salad outside in the sunshine was what the doctor ordered.

I peered into the fridge: dog-end tub of ordinary houmous, new tub of Moroccan houmous, cherry tomatoes, tenderleaf salad (half a bag full), bag of prettily purple bean shoot salad, quarter of a red pepper (slightly flaccid), some chicory left over from yesterday’s lunch. I suddenly thought (in a small wattage lightbulb sort of way) what I could do, so:

I chopped up the pepper and chicory and mixed them in with the houmous (finished off one tub and added 1 spoonful of Moroccan to it) and put it in a bowl.





If you were being posh you could drizzle some olive oil and/or pesto on top of it.

I then halved the tomatoes and mixed them in with the tenderleaf salad and some bean-shoots and dressed them with some oil and balsamic vinegar. It didn’t need salt as there were so many strong, earthy flavours in there.



I then poured myself a glass of grapefruit juice (resisting wine after a big boozy day on Saturday and with a mind to feeble attempts at slimming a little) and went outside where I ate and contemplated the sun-filled garden while the cat sat in the shade looking slightly weary (it was a little warm for fur). This simple, but healthy and filling little repast, was then followed by some home-picked Moroccan mint tea. Perfect.

(PS: if this all sounds rather sickeningly idyllic, you should know that I had previously removed the hind leg and muzzle – complete with whiskers – of a rabbit from the terrace as it was attracting hideous amounts of flies and rather off-putting to have beside one’s lunch table. No wonder the cat didn’t eat her breakfast – she was clearly full of rabbit).

Comments

Milla said…
am just salivating like mad having read the whole bloody page of recipes!! that duck! that veal! oh, and what are YOU having for lunch, Milla? Why, the bread with holes in it and the cheese everyone's been avoiding. Not Quite the Same!

Popular Posts