Cauliflower Cheese with a Twist


Cauliflower cheese has to be one of the great quick meals - nutritious and filling and the kids love it. I usually add bacon or ham (depending on what's in the fridge and most needs eating up) to give it some extra interest. But over the Easter holidays, when I had myself and just one child to feed (the older two were on a school ski trip) one lunchtime, I looked in the fridge and decided on an extra twist: Gruyere cheese rather than Cheddar cheese. Such a small adjustment to the traditional recipe, but such a big result. The addition of this nutty Swiss cheese adds a whole new dimension of flavour, and is great for a change, if nothing else.

Ingredients

Cauliflower
Gruyere cheese (c.100g grated)
2 rashers of smoked bacon
Quarter of a pint (c.125ml ) of milk
2 or 3 heaped teaspoons of cornflour
Large knob of unsalted butter.


I make my white sauce using cornflour (but if you prefer flour that's fine): I melt the butter over a low heat, add the cornflour and mix it into a roux (smooth paste), then slowly add the milk, stirring all the time. I do all this over a very low heat - and you must not stop stirring. Once the white sauce has formed, add the grated gruyere (I used the leftovers of a pre-grated packet in the fridge).


Check the cauliflower is clean and cut off the florets and just a few of the palest, tenderest leaves. Get a pan of water boiling and then add the florets (or use a steamer over the pan, as I do). Do not overcook them - they should still have an element of bite rather than be waterlogged.


Meanwhile, cut up the bacon rashers and fry in a frying pan for a minute or two, then add to the white sauce.


Once the cauliflower is cooked, put it into bowls, pour over the white sauce, sprinkle on a bit more of the grated cheese and add some generous twists of black pepper. Easy! And if you're being posh, you could put the cauliflower and sauce into a pretty oven-proof dish, grate more cheese over the top and grill it till the cheese is melted and forms a golden crust. The choice is yours.

Comments

Maggie Christie said…
I love cauliflower cheese too - I must try it with Gruyere and bacon.
This reminds me of the time I was in a motorway Service Station cafe behind an elderly couple.
The man said to the woman: "What's cauliflower cheese?" She replied: "I think it's just cauliflower and cheese." He said: "Will I like it?"
Bless.
Carah Boden said…
Aw, what a divine story! Thanks PM for stopping by and adding that super comment.
mmmmm.... i have a cauliflower soup recipe that has lots of cheese in it, but I like this - simple and delish sounding!

Popular Posts