Sausages, Red Cabbage and Fried New Potatoes.

Was struggling to think what to do for the Lord and Master for supper. Had two packets (Buy One Get One Free!) of organic pork sausages from Morrisons in the fridge. Had new potatoes. Had left-over red cabbage from the Sunday roast.

That all works together, thought I. So I got out the sauté pan and slapped in some sausages. Meanwhile I sliced the new potatoes and then cut them up further into small bits, together with half an onion, and put them into the pan with the sausages. They all sizzled away happily together while I got the leftover, already cooked (in butter, spices and redcurrant and port jelly) cabbage and bunged it into a saucepan. I added more butter and some redcurrant and mint jelly (the redcurrant and port had run out). I found a couple of half mouldy apples in the fruit bowl, removed the mouldy half and peeled and thinly sliced the remaining good bits and threw them in with the cabbage. I think I also added a small slug of red wine and then let it reduce until it became syrupy.

Simple. Tasty. Lord and Master declared it very good. I licked my plate. Job done.

(Sorry, no pix for this one as was not expecting it to be as good as it was!)

Comments

The bike shed said…
Now I know where you've been hiding!
Sounds good.
SMS said…
Brill! Just the sort of improvisation I love...now what's in MY fridge?????
Nutty Gnome said…
That's the sort of combination of things that I chuck together and, like you, they generally work out well. Trouble is I can never quite remember exactly what it was that I did.....!
Maggie Christie said…
That sounds utterly delicious. I'm a big fan of the sausage/red cabbage combo. All those people who throw away veg and fruit just because they have reached their 'best before' date should read this post.
Carah Boden said…
Thanks everyone for your comments. Nutty - I know what you mean, that's why I've started writing the good ones down!! PM - I couldn't agree more. So much unnecessary wastage because of draconian measures with regard to sell-by dates and absurd notions of health and safety.
Tattieweasle said…
Sounds much mroe glamorous than bangers and mash!
That does sound totally gorgeous. I'm only one in our house that eats red cabbage. It's perfect for this time of years.

warm wishes
x

Popular Posts