In The Beginning...

You may be wondering why I have been a bit silent on this ‘great new blog idea’ of mine. Well, having decided to set it up and give it a go, I noticed just days later that a) Delia got there before me in the 1970s with Frugal Food, the book that has recently been republished and appeared on the shelves again and b) there’s another book also recently published called ‘The Frugal Cook’ which I noticed in the ‘Gifts for the Girls’ catalogue while flicking through for inspiration for Christmas presents. I have since discovered that this is the book of the blog (yes, another blog-turned-book success story, but sadly not mine!). As ever, I’ve missed the boat again. Story of my life: having great ideas, not acting on them quickly enough and so someone gets there before me.

Anyway, I’ve been thinking about it and have decided to say ‘Sod it’ and carry on regardless. No-one has the copyright over ideas as broad as trying to be creative with food while saving money and waste at the same time. It’s a good cause so I may as well contribute in my own small way.

So if anyone accuses me of ‘copy cat’, then accuse away. My conscience is clear, knowing that I have been thinking about this (and even talked with my mother - an excellent cook - some years ago now, about joining forces with her as it was an idea she’d also toyed with) way before we all became recession and credit crunch obsessed at the end of last year.

There’s another crucial difference between me and the other two above: I’m not an established cookery writer. I’m just a plain old mother at home cooking two meals an evening: one for my children, another for me and my husband. I have lots of cookery books, but most of them I refer to simply for ideas. I’ve never been good at following instructions. I’d rather trust my own instincts. And that, I would say, is one of the ingredients for making a good cook. The others are Confidence, Creativity and, it goes without saying, A Good Palate. No good being creative if it tastes like shit.

Since I moved to this house I cook with an Aga. I didn’t grow up with one, but I always wanted one. Initially I was drawn to them because I loved the idea of them being the (clichéd) ‘Heart of the Home’. I loved the idea of coming down to a warm kitchen and a permanent source of heat to cuddle up to and dry your socks on. Now, the eco warriors may at this point click their mouse and bog off somewhere else with much tut-tutting and rolling of eyes. Yet I can assure you that the Aga is not the monster it has been portrayed as being. Most of the critics just simply have no idea how to make the best and most efficient use of them. Because, trust me, it is one of the best and most efficient ways of cooking food which has ever been invented. And since they were invented by a physicist, I think you can take my word for that. But for me, another of the key reasons I love cooking with an Aga is because I am a confident cook. Timings and temperatures freak me out. I use my senses to cook: sight, smell, taste. That is all you need. They are the best and most reliable guides you have.

(At which point I have to throw in a quick caveat: I’m no baker or pastry chef! Logically enough, this is because baking requires precision and I am not a naturally precise person. I also do not have a very sweet tooth. I’m a starters and main course kinda gal. So, all those of you who can’t pass a patisserie without slavering may as well leave the room now!)

I have a feeling this will not be a conventional food blog because I don’t do conventional, but if you fancy coming along for the ride, then Welcome Aboard!

Comments

Pondside said…
Well, here goes my second try at leaving a comment. Just wanted to say that I'll hop on for the ride - and that the idea of cooking two meals an evening was a bit daunting. My children just had to eat whatever I planned for the family and develop a taste for adult food.
I'll bookmark this and look forward to more!
Carah Boden said…
Thank you Pondside - let's see how it goes, eh?!
Great idea... we all need inspiration at times otherwise we make the same old things...

By choice and experience I am a 'from scratch' cook, and it is not just what is in the fridge but what is in the garden that we have to use for ideas... currently lots of sadly frosted carrots and a tray of harvested swedes, onions and we are nearly out of home grown potatoes. We've been busy sowing seeds today ready for the next growing season.
Sometimes the repertoire of what is on offer gets a bit boring so we are all ready and waiting for your new ideas.
Looking forward to it!
Faith said…
Interested to read further blogs on the subject. I love my aga!
Tattieweasle said…
I'm in for the ride - sounds a great idea might even get me cookingon my Alpha ( a kind of Aga) which is mostly a glorified boiler at present. Though it does look smart and clean - for now...
Suffolkmum said…
Was nodding furiously away as usual. I always have those ideas too and watch as everyone else gets in before me - hey maybe we should write a book about that!!! I have an Aga too, inherited it when we bought this house and am a total convert. And no they are not the monsters they are made out to be!
Herbalgirl said…
I'll hop on for the ride! This is a hot topic and there is certainly room for other voices. I, too, love the AGA, not only for the way it cooks food but for its clothes drying function. The Sheila-Maid is fantastic and makes the AGA a bit more eco-friendly.
Carah Boden said…
Thanks guys for your support - there's a new post coming shortly - PROMISE! Don't know where the time has gone to this week...
Rob Clack said…
Looking forward to this. I do follow recipes and need all the instructions and temperatures, but I love cooking and proper food. Which must be accompanied by something decent from the cellar, of course.

Tonight is Jamie Oliver's slow roasted shoulder of lamb. Not quite sure what liquid accompaniment to choose yet. Perhaps I'll amble downstairs and think about it.
Jibran Ahmed said…
Hi
this is jibran from Karachi Pakistan.
i visited your website it is very good please VISIT on my websites and click on the google's addvertis like this i will be thank full to you.
Best Regard
Jibran Ahmed Khan
Jibran Ahmed said…
sourcekarachi.blogspot.com

pchints4u.blogspot.com

pakmsoffice.blogspot.com

mairapakistan.blogspot.com

asiandastarkhwan.blogspot.com

allpic4ever.blogspot.com

thease are my WEBSITES Please Please click on google advertise once. my email is
source_khi@yahoo.com

Popular Posts